When Is the Best Time to Buy Anything? Top 12 Times of the Year to Save
What time of year is best for shopping? Here's your month-by-month guide to smarter spending.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
Plan ahead to get the best deals
If you’re anything like us, you probably have a laundry list of things you need to spruce up your home or keep things running smoothly. Maybe your washer and dryer bit the dust or you want to upgrade your ancient laptop. Perhaps you’re on the hunt for the perfect patio set or in desperate need of a lawn mower and new snow blower. Or maybe you’re simply in the market to refresh your wardrobe or bed linens or towels. Whatever your needs may be, knowing the best time to buy anything may take some advance planning, but it will save you tons of money in the end.
Luckily, finding the best deals isn’t hard to do, since retailers tend to slash prices on some of our favorite things at the same time every year. We’ve created a timetable of the best seasonal sales to help you save a bundle while getting exactly what you want. Get your calendars out and read on to learn the best time to buy appliances or new furniture. We’ll even tell you the best time to buy a house and a car!
Not only is January the best time to stock up on clearance holiday goods, it’s also the best time to buy sheets, invest in fitness gear and replace your humidifier.
- Holiday goods: Yep, the holidays are over, but now is the perfect time to stock up for next Christmas. January is the time stores cut prices on holiday gift wrap, cards and decorations.
- Bed linens: Retailers offer deep discounts on sheets, towels and blankets in January. “White sales” actually date back to 1878, when a Philadelphia department store held a “white sale” on linens to help keep linen makers in business during a slow period. Keep an eye out for deals on Oprah’s favorite ultra-soft bamboo bedsheets from Cozy Earth.
- Humidifiers: Consumer Reports advises buying a humidifier when they’re on deep discount in January. We’ve already put together a list of the best humidifiers that are worth every penny. Not sure which one is right for you? This Dyson Purifier Humidify + Cool is a great option because it serves as a humidifier, fan and air purifier.
- Fitness gear: Fitness trackers, scales and other equipment go on sale in January to help you stick to those New Year’s resolutions. If you’ve been meaning to pick up a Fitbit, this is the time to do it.
Forget Valentine’s Day. February is for shopping! This month is the best time to buy tax software, a new space heater and winter clothes.
- Tax software: You’ll start seeing the best discounts on tax-filing software, like the popular Turbo Tax, in February.
- Space heaters: With winter coming to an end, many retailers will offer hefty discounts on space heaters. We suggest keeping an eye out for sales on Dyson’s Pure Hot and Cool Tower, since you’ll be able to use it year-round and it doubles as an air purifier.
- Winter clothes: End-of-season clearance deals coupled with Presidents Day sales make this the perfect time to stock up on winter essentials like coats and boots for next season. Can’t wait until February? Check out this famed “Amazon Coat” that has more than 16,000 positive reviews.
Though there are no major shopping holidays in March, there are plenty of sales to help you get ready for the coming months. Think spring cleaning and summer travel, which translate to big sales on vacuum cleaners and air purifiers along with luggage and digital cameras. March is also one of the best times to buy fine jewelry, so be sure to treat yourself!
- Vacuum cleaners: If you’re gearing up for a big spring clean, March is the month to snag a vacuum cleaner at a great price. Do yourself a favor and take a look at the Shark Vertex DuoClean. This easy-to-use vacuum features anti-allergen technology and power lift-away for easy cleaning on stairs and under furniture. If you’re a pet parent, you’ll also want to consider these tried-and-true vacuums for dog and cat hair.
- Air purifiers: Mild spring weather makes us want to throw open all the windows. It feels refreshing, but it can also let in a variety of allergens and pollutants. Luckily, retailers typically offer hefty discounts on air purifiers in March. Here’s a list of the best air purifiers worth buying, including this model from Shark that covers up to 1,200 square feet.
- Luggage: Retailers tend to discount luggage before travel-heavy spring and summer. We also love this roomy Away carry-on, which comes equipped with a removable battery that can charge your phone up to four times.
- Digital cameras: Consumer Reports advises snapping up a digital camera in March or April, when sales are best. This Fujifilm Instax bundle makes a great gift for yourself or any of your photo-loving friends.
- Fine jewelry: Jewelers are officially done with the holiday season and have a few months before engagement ring season begins in late May to early June. That means you’re likely to find some deals on those sparkly baubles you’ve had your eye on.
No April Fools here, just great sales! April is the best time to buy a carpet cleaner, leaf blower and tires.
- Carpet cleaners: If you have a house full of pets, kids or both, you may want to invest in a carpet cleaner. And with spring cleaning in full swing, April is the best month to find a great deal on one. This Carpet One carpet cleaner from viral TikTok brand Tineco is designed to give you professional results at home. It’s equipped with PowerDry Technology, which cuts down dry time to 30 minutes or less, as well as a humidity sensor that lets you know when the carpet is dry.
- Leaf blowers: Look for deals on leaf blowers to make spring cleanup a cinch. Ryobi’s gas-powered backpack leaf blower makes getting rid of leaves, grass clippings and other debris quick and painless all season long.
- Tires: Retailers know that drivers are gearing up for spring break and summer road trips beginning in April, so expect to find a variety of sales and promos around this time.
Memorial Day helps make May the perfect time to replace your old mattress or air mattress, or scoop up discounted spring clothing. It’s also one of the best times of the year to buy small appliances like blenders.
- Mattresses: If you’re in the market for a new mattress, you’re likely to find the best price during Memorial Day sales. You’ll sleep better knowing how much money you saved on a new bed, like Brooklyn Bedding’s luxurious Sedona Hybrid. Before you start shopping, arm yourself with these tips on how to find the right mattress for you.
- Air mattresses: If you’re expecting company in the upcoming summer, you’ll need somewhere for them to sleep. An air mattress is a quick and comfortable option, and you can snag one at a lower price around Memorial Day. This Sound Asleep queen-size air mattress boasts comfort coil technology and has a one-click internal pump for easy inflation. It also has more than 35,000 5-star ratings on Amazon.
- Blenders: Thanks to Mother’s Day and Memorial Day, you can typically find big discounts on blenders. Keep an eye out for deals on this Ninja Mega Kitchen System, which includes an ultra-powerful blender.
- Spring clothing: Memorial Day sales include clothing at lower prices at department stores, apparel retailers and big-box stores.
School’s out for the year, and the deals are just starting to heat up. Get ready for summer with savings on sunscreen, outdoor gear, tools and tech.
- Sunscreen: Protecting your skin is a must all year long, but it’s especially important during the summer months when you spend more time outside. Prices tend to dip in June, making it the perfect time to stock up on your favorites, like Supergoop’s Every. Single. Face. Watery Lotion.
- Outdoor gear: School’s on summer break, so retailers typically discount a variety of seasonal products, including outdoor gear, like bicycles and camping equipment.
- Smartwatches: Tech gadgets like smartwatches will be on sale for Father’s Day, so this is the time to look for deals on a new Apple watch.
- Tools: Look for markdowns on tools in the weeks leading up to Father’s Day. Not sure what to look for? A cordless drill by Dewalt is always a welcome gift.
The Fourth of July and Amazon Prime Day make July the best time to buy major appliances, including refrigerators and a new laptop, plus picnic and party supplies.
- Refrigerators: Retailers like Best Buy, Home Depot and Lowe’s have been known to discount major, big-name refrigerators up to 40% during their Fourth of July sales.
- Laptops: If you want to avoid the Black Friday and Cyber Monday craziness, then July’s Amazon Prime Day is the prime (pun intended) time to save big on a new laptop.
- Dehumidifiers: As we get into the throes of summer and its sticky, muggy weather, dehumidifiers tend to drop in price. Since humidity levels over 50% can breed dust mites, mildew and mold, you’ll definitely want to pick up a dehumidifier or upgrade an old one.
- Picnic supplies: Once the Fourth of July has passed, look for discounted picnic and party supplies. This picnic backpack for four includes everything you need for a fun family outing!
End-of-season clearance sales coupled with back-to-school sales make August one of the best times to buy Apple products, including iMacs and AirPods, office supplies, arts and crafts materials, and summer wardrobe staples. And if your backyard is looking a bit shabby, August is also the best time to buy new patio furniture.
- Computers: You’ll find the best deals on laptops and computers during back-to-school sales this month and can even score a student discount on coveted Apple products.
- Headphones: Tech devices, like Apple’s AirPods Pro, are popular with students and often on sale during the last month of summer.
- Office supplies: Take advantage of those back-to-school sales and stock up on office supplies like these colorful pens.
- Arts and crafts supplies: If you have young children, this is the perfect time to buy arts-and-crafts supplies to keep them busy at home all year long.
- Patio furniture: Retailers will be looking to clear out any old models they still have in stock. Caution: While the prices are lower, the selection will be smaller too.
- Snow blowers: Snow may be the last thing on your mind at the end of summer, but experts say the time to buy is now, before you’re, well, snowed under.
- Washers and dryers: Holidays and major shopping weekends are hands down the best time to save on a new washer and dryer. But Labor Day sales are when you’ll find the very best prices, according to shopping experts.
- Air conditioners: As we round the corner into fall, expect to find discounts on summer products like this LG smart window air conditioner. Before you shop, read up on these ways you’re shortening the life of your air conditioner to ensure you don’t make the same mistakes.
- Grills: Summer is fading into memory, so if you’re in the market for a new grill, you’re likely to score some deals before the season officially ends, especially if you’re not set on a particular brand or style. We really like this small, easy-to-use Weber grill. Don’t forget to pick up new grill tools while you’re at it!
- Hot tubs: With peak pool and spa season coming to an end, hot tubs will be at their lowest prices during the fall and winter months. Start early if you want the best selection.
Fall is in full swing, which means you’re thinking about keeping your house nice and toasty as the temperatures drop. Luckily, October is the best time to save on new thermostats, smoke detectors and cookware. And if you’re an adventurer, October can also be the best time to buy an RV. Looking to move? October is the start of a three-month stretch for the best time to buy a house.
- Cookware: Industry experts say that they see the best deals in October when people are looking to upgrade their kitchens prior to holidays and entertaining. We recommend this ovenware set from Our Place, which is incredibly versatile and just might change cooking as you know it.
- Smoke detectors: Not replacing your old smoke detectors is one of the many little things that could be making your home a fire hazard. Fortunately, they tend to go on sale this month. These First Alert hardwired smoke detectors are good for 10 years and can be purchased in packs of one, three, six or 12.
- Thermostats: If it’s time to upgrade your thermostat, you can snag one at a discount during Columbus Day sales. A smart thermostat like the Google Nest can help you save money and conserve energy in the upcoming winter months.
- RVs: Demand for RVs is highest in the spring and summer months, so you’ll get the best prices during the fall and winter. But if you want low prices and a good selection, October is the best time to shop.
If you’re looking for the best time to buy anything, November is definitely up there. Black Friday and Cyber Monday make November the best time to buy a TV, streaming device, coffee maker and other small appliances. It’s also the best time to buy furniture, so if you’ve been thinking about upgrading your couch, now’s the time!
- TVs: Black Friday and Cyber Monday (with deals that might last the entire week leading up to Thanksgiving) are prime opportunities to score very inexpensive TVs.
- Bakeware: November is the best month to upgrade your bakeware in preparation for holiday baking. All-Clad Pro Release Cookie Sheets will help you make enough for a crowd.
- Coffee makers: With the holiday season going into full swing, you’ll find amazing deals on all sorts of gifts, including coffee makers. Ninja’s DualBrew Pro System 12-Cup Coffee Maker is the perfect gift for yourself or any of your coffee-loving family and friends, since it makes everything from a single cup of regular or specialty coffee (hello, morning cappuccinos) to an entire carafe for entertaining.
- Small appliances: Again, thanks to Black Friday and Cyber Monday you can pick up small appliances for a fraction of their regular price. This 6-Quart Crockpot will make weekday meal prep as easy as pie and is a must-have in every kitchen.
- Streaming devices: Is it time to upgrade your Firestick or Roku? Score big discounts on streaming media devices during Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales.
- Furniture: You’ll find bargains on all things for the home, including furniture, between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday.
Now is the time to make your list and check it twice. Save on tons of gifts including air fryers, multi-cookers, home security cameras and cars. And if you’re in the market for big-ticket items, December is the best time to buy a car.
- Air fryers: Many Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales extend into December, and you’ll be able to scoop up a host of discounted small appliances. Ninja’s Foodi 6-in-1 two-basket air fryer will take your cooking game to the next level, since you can make just about anything in it. Well, almost anything. Here are the things you should probably never cook in an air fryer.
- Multi-cookers: Snag deals on gifts that every cook should have in their kitchen. This Instant Pot multi-cooker will make cooking a cinch, because who doesn’t love to set it and forget it?
- Home security cameras: Big retailers tend to run promotions on home security cameras just in time for you to keep an eye on all those packages that get delivered around the holidays. The motion-activated, Echo-compatible Ring Floodlight Cam will pick up anyone who comes onto your property.
- Cars: Not only can you score discounts up to 6%, but dealers may also throw in incentives like 0% financing, cashback and deferred payments.
Best times in general to buy things
You may already know there is a best time to buy flights, but did you know there’s actually a best day to buy stuff in general? Yep! It’s true. If you want to know when is the best time to buy anything, or if you should buy things on a Sunday, there are a few things to consider.
What months are best for sales?
Knowing what are seasonal sales can help you save on just about everything. Holiday weekends, including Presidents Day in February, Memorial Day in May, the Fourth of July, and Labor Day in September, are all marked by dayslong sales events. And, of course, don’t forget Black Friday and Cyber Monday in November! But those aren’t the only times to save.
In addition to holiday sales, some retailers also hold annual savings events that you’ll want to put on your calendar. Here are some of our favorites:
- Amazon Prime Day is a shopping extravaganza that has taken place in July for the past few years. You can find deep discounts on clothing, electronics, home goods and more. And to make these deals even sweeter, other major retailers like Target and Walmart have been known to hold big blowout sales at the same time to compete with Prime Day.
- Nordstrom holds their highly anticipated Anniversary Sale every July, when you can save on designer shoes, clothing, home goods and even baby gear.
- Sephora usually holds a huge seasonal savings event every spring and fall (typically April and November), when you can save on your favorite beauty supplies as well as big-ticket items like the coveted Dyson Airwrap.
What time of year is best for shopping?
Whether you’re shopping for a new bathing suit, winter coat, grill or snowblower, you’ll get the most bang for your buck if you shop during the off-season. For instance, you’ll find the best deals on bathing suits in September, and you can scoop up a deeply discounted new winter coat toward the end of February. So make a list of everything you need and shop accordingly throughout the year.